When it comes to e-commerce digital marketing, your product photos are your bread and butter. And, in a world where product photography has become extremely competitive, you need to make sure your website’s photos are top-notch if you want to succeed online.
Your product images are what your customers see first when they visit your website or online store, so it’s crucial that they are high quality and accurately represent your products. Not only do great product photos give potential customers a better idea of what your product looks like and does, but they also help create an emotional connection with your product.
If your product images are poor quality, it can actually dissuade customers from buying from you altogether. It can also make your website and online store look unprofessional.
If you want to create a picture-perfect eCommerce website with product photography that wows potential customers and helps you boost sales, we have a few tips to get you started.
What is Product Photography?
Product photography is the process of taking photographs of products or product prototypes. This type of photography is typically used for online stores and catalogs, as well as marketing materials such as brochures and ads.
While product photos are often taken in a studio setting, they can also be taken on location. In some cases, companies will hire a product photographer to come to their premises and take photos of their products. This is especially common for companies that sell large or bulky items that can’t be easily transported, such as furniture.
The elements of a good product image are:
- Lighting: Good lighting is crucial for taking great product photos. If possible, use natural light; however, if you’re photographing in a studio, you’ll need artificial lighting. It’s important that the light is diffused and not too harsh, as this might produce shadows and make your goods seem less desirable.
- Composition: Composition is important in any type of photography, but it’s especially important in product photography. When composing your shots, pay attention to the background and make sure it’s not distracting. You should also focus on the features of your product that you want to highlight.
- Angle: The angle at which you take your product photos can make a big difference in how they look. In most cases, it’s best to take photos from slightly above the product, as this gives a more flattering view. Try shooting from different angles to see what looks best.
- Background: The background of your product photos should be simple and uncluttered. A plain white background is a good choice, as it makes the product stand out. You can also use a plain black or colored background, depending on your product and the overall look you’re going for.
- Depth of field: This refers to the amount of the photo that is in focus. In product photography, it’s usually best to use a shallow depth of field, as this helps the product stand out from the background.
- Props: Props can be used in product photos to add context and give potential customers a better idea of how the product can be used. However, it’s important to use props sparingly, as too many can be distracting.
Product photography is a critical element of eCommerce website design and one that should not be overlooked.
How important is product photography for eCommerce?
Any online company that sells physical items should invest in high-quality photos to promote its products. Because product images are frequently the first thing potential consumers see when they visit your website or internet store, it’s critical to make them as effective and appealing as possible.
Great product images also impact your online store’s conversion. In fact, 67% of consumers say that the quality of a product image is “very important” in their decision to purchase. Customers want to get an accurate vision of what they’re buying before hitting the checkout button. A high-quality photo, taken from multiple angles, can help shoppers envision how your product will look in their own home, office, or wardrobe. With E-Retail sales expected to reach $5.4 trillion in 2022, professional-looking product pictures on your site are more important than ever before.
Apart from sales, it also helps establish your brand identity. Quality product photography creates a visual consistency that allows customers to recognize your items even when they’re not actively looking for them. If you want to boost your brand recognition and develop consumer loyalty, product photography is a great place to start.
Your product photos should reflect the overall aesthetic of your brand and help convey the message you’re trying to communicate. For example, if you’re selling luxury items, your photos should be sleek and stylish. If you’re selling eco-friendly products, your photos should be natural and organic-looking. No matter what products you sell, your product photography should be on-brand.
In addition to creating a consistent visual style, great product photography can also help you tell a story about your brand. Your photos should highlight the features and benefits of your products, as well as the values that your company represents. By telling a story with your product photography, you can connect with customers on a deeper level and inspire them to make a purchase.
10 Tips to Create eCommerce Product Photography
Product photography might seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. You can take amazing product images that will boost your website’s conversion rate while also making your items appear their very best with a little practice and some helpful tips from our experts.
Here are 10 tips for taking amazing product photos:
- Find the right angle. The best way to show off your product is to find its most flattering angle and shoot from there. Get down on the ground, climb up on a stool, or do whatever it takes to find the angle that makes your product look its best.
- Use a plain background. A busy or cluttered background will distract from your product and make it difficult for customers to focus on what you’re selling. Stick to plain backgrounds like white walls or simple fabric backdrops.
- Get the right lighting. Lighting is key in product photography. Avoid harsh shadows and blown-out highlights, so experiment with different light sources until you find the perfect setup. Natural light is always a good option, but you may need to supplement it with artificial light if you’re shooting indoors.
- Use a tripod to help you keep your camera steady and avoid blurry photos. If you don’t have a tripod, try setting your camera on a flat surface like a table or the floor.
- Use a macro lens to get close-up shots of small details, which can be helpful when you’re photographing jewelry or other small items.
- Set the aperture to a low number. A lower aperture will give you a shallow depth of field, which means that only your product will be in focus while the background is blurred. This effect can help make your product pop and draws the viewer’s eye to the subject of the photo.
- Shoot in RAW format. RAW files are larger than JPEGs, but they offer more flexibility when it comes to editing. If you’re not sure how to edit RAW files, there are plenty of tutorials and online resources that can help you get started.
- Edit your photos. Even if you take a great photo, there’s always room for improvement in post-processing. Edit your photos to adjust the lighting, color, and contrast. You can also use editing software to remove distractions or imperfections from the background of your photo.
- Optimize your images for SEO. In addition to looking good, your product photos should be optimized for search engines. Include keywords in your file names and alt text so that your images will appear in image search results.
- Use high-quality product photos on your website. The quality of your product photos can make or break a sale, so it’s important to use high-resolution images on your eCommerce website. When customers can see the details of your product, they’re more likely to make a purchase.
These tips will help you take better product photos and improve your eCommerce website. By following these guidelines, you can create beautiful, on-brand images that will inspire customers to buy from your store.
If you don’t have the internal resources to take professional quality product photos, you can always hire a photographer or a branding and advertising agency like Public Advertising Agency. We provide photography and videography services that can help you take your eCommerce website to the next level.
We’ve worked with clients in a variety of industries, and our team has the experience and expertise to produce stunning product photos that will capture your brand’s unique voice. Holler at us today to learn more about our photography and video services or to request a quote.